Following the Provincial Medical Health Officer orders, masks are now required when visiting the library. This is in addition to physical distancing, occupancy limits, and other safety measures.
A properly worn mask covers your nose and mouth at all times. Masks are available. Speak to a member of staff.
Open for Sit Down services! Please note our new hours.
- Remember to bring your library card or library card number with you
- For convenient access to self-checkout, please consider downloading the MyLibrary! app.
- 10 public computers are available
- 15 or 30-minute time limits
- Printing is available
About the Branch
The land on which this library stands is the unceded territory of the Snuneymuxw First Nation, whose relationships with the land continue to this day.
The Nanaimo library branch opened in 1936. However, the coal mining centre of what we now call Nanaimo enjoyed library services as early as the 1860s. In June, 1961 the library moved to a new building on Fitzwilliam Street and in 1997 the Nanaimo Harbourfront Branch moved to its current location on Diana Krall Plaza off Commercial Street in Downtown Nanaimo.
Learn more about our new Creativity Commons innovation space.
Sit Down Service
Welcome to our branch where you can safely and securely browse our collection, use our self-checkout machines, and bring home some exciting new titles.
What you can expect
- Full browsing collection
- Self-serve holds
- Fine payment (cash allowed)
- People counter/access control
- Self-serve photocopying
- 24 hour Bookdrop
How we’re keeping you and our staff safe
- Ensuring proper physical distancing
- Limiting the number of people allowed in the branch at one time
- Regular disinfecting
- Clear signage and messaging that all customers are expected to follow
- Providing equitable access to customers with different COVID-19 infection risk factors
- Library Manager – Anthony Martin
- Customer Services Librarian – Adult Services – April Ripley
- Customer Services Librarian – Adult Services – Corinne Shortridge
- Customer Services Librarian – Adult Services – Steinunn Benjaminsson
- Customer Services Librarian – Children & Youth Services – Lee Losell
- Customer Services Librarian – Children & Youth Services – Sheila Hammond-Todd