Branch Update: Vancouver Island Regional Library branches are temporarily closed until further notice to help limit the spread of COVID-19. Please check https://virl.bc.ca/covid-19-update/ for regular updates.
About the Branch
The land on which this library stands is the unceded territory of the Snuneymuxw First Nation, whose relationships with the land continue to this day.
The Nanaimo library branch opened in 1936. However, the coal mining centre of what we now call Nanaimo enjoyed library services as early as the 1860s. In June, 1961 the library moved to a new building on Fitzwilliam Street and in 1997 the Nanaimo Harbourfront Branch moved to its current location on Diana Krall Plaza off Commercial Street in Downtown Nanaimo.
Learn more about our new Creativity Commons innovation space.
- Wheelchair accessible
- 24 public access computers
- Meeting rooms
- Creativity Commons
- Microfilm Reader
- Optelec Low-Vision Reader
- Free public WiFi
The Creativity Commons area in Nanaimo Harbourfront has a small meeting room with maximum capacity of 6, a medium meeting room with maximum capacity of 15, and a large meeting room with maximum capacity of 80 people. All of these rooms are available to be booked free of charge for community or not-for-profit groups. For-profit groups are able to book the rooms for $30/hour. Groups are not allowed to sell products or charge admission for events on library property.
The rooms are available during library hours which are:
Monday – Thursday: 10:00 am – 8:00 pm
Saturday: 10:00 am – 5:00 pm
Sunday (some locations): 12:30 pm – 4:00 pm
We can book up to 3 months in advance and we limit groups to 2 uses per month.
- Library Manager – Anthony Martin
- Customer Services Librarian – Adult Services – April Ripley
- Customer Services Librarian – Adult Services – Casey Stepaniuk
- Customer Services Librarian – Adult Services – Steinunn Benjaminsson
- Customer Services Librarian – Children & Youth Services – Lee Losell
- Customer Services Librarian – Children & Youth Services – Sheila Hammond-Todd