Learning English? Check out our Adult Learning Collection:
Resources for Newcomers, Immigrants and Refugees
- Get a Library Card Online
- Did you know that a library card is free for anyone living in our catchment area?
- Register online for a library card without having to visit a branch.
- Resources for Newcomers, Immigrants and Refugees
- A list of books, kits, and electronic resources of interest to newcomers, immigrants and refugees.
Children & Teen Learning
- Solaro: Solaro is a test prep and study app based on the BC curriculum. It covers Mathematics, Science, and English/Language Arts for grades 3-12. Students can review lessons, create customized flashcards and notes, and more!
- PebbleGo: A digital information and research tool for K-3 students. Two modules are available: Animals (includes Dinosaurs) and Science. Each module features articles, activities, games, maps, videos and engaging read-aloud audio.
- TumbleBook Library: An online collection of animated picture books, audiobooks, graphic novels, children’s classics, early reader chapter books, and National Geographic videos. A great resource to teach kids the joy of reading in a format they’ll love!
- TeenBookCloud: Has 600 titles for middle and high school readers! This collection contains a wide range of audiobooks, classics, graphic novels, novels, poetry, and short stories! National Geographic videos are available too.
- Road to IELTS: General Edition: the official, online IELTS (International English Language Testing System) preparation and practice database prepared by the British Council, for people learning English who need to pass the exam for educational, immigration, and occupational purposes.
- Mango Languages: A language learning database designed to equip you with conversational abilities. Mango immerses you in real, everyday conversations in 45 different language courses.
Film & Television
- Kanopy: A video streaming platform for libraries with one of the largest and most unique collections in the world. It features more than 26,000 movies, documentaries, and indie and foreign films from hundreds of producers, including The Criterion Collection, The Great Courses, Kino Lorber, PBS and thousands of independent filmmakers. Browse by subjects to explore and expand your interests.
Ebooks & Audiobooks
- OverDrive: VIRL’s most popular eBook and eAudiobook platform. It also includes current and back issues of popular magazines. All you need to get started is your library card and an internet connection. Download the Libby App for a simple and easy experience downloading eBooks and eAudiobooks for free.
- OverDrive for Kids: OverDrive is our most popular eBook and eAudiobook platform and we’ve a space just for kids! All you need to get started is your library card and an internet connection.
- OverDrive for Teens: OverDrive is our most popular eBook and eAudiobook platform and we’ve a space just for teens!
- Canadian Newsstream: Full text access to over 500 BC and Canadian newspapers. Titles include the Vancouver Sun, The Province, Times Colonist, Globe and Mail, National Post, Toronto Star, Calgary Herald, Montreal Gazette, Ottawa Citizen, and Winnipeg Free Press. Content for some titles starts from the 1970s. Canadian Newsstream is updated daily.
- PressReader: The world’s largest online newspaper and magazine kiosk, where you can browse and read hundreds of full-content premium newspapers and magazines from around the globe. Access is for 30 days after library sign-in. You will need to follow the steps to sign in as a library member after that 30 day period, to re-start another 30 days of access.
- Career Cruising: Career Cruising programs help people build more purposeful futures by assisting with career exploration and planning. This database offers career assessment tools, detailed occupation profiles, and comprehensive post-secondary education information.
- LinkedIn Learning: An online learning platform featuring video courses and tutorials. LinkedIn Learning offers courses with a focus on skills for business, creative industries, education, information technology, software, and web development.
- Clicklaw: Provides legal information, education and help for British Columbians.
- Freegal: Freegal Music offers access to over 15 million songs, including Sony Music’s catalog. In total the collection is comprised of music from over 40,000+ labels with music that originates in over 100 countries. Download up to 5 songs each week – yours to keep for your personal use.
- Naxos Music Library: The world’s largest online classical music library.
- Naxos Music Library – Jazz: From jazz legends to contemporary jazz. Listen online to an entire album or search for your favourite song or performer.
- Naxos Music Library – World: Stream a wide range of world music, from legendary historical musical performances to contemporary world music. Almost 10,000 albums available, representing over 32,000 artists, 1500 cultural groups and 150 countries.