The Creativity Commons Library is available to all members of our community. Our intentions are to promote food security in our local community through the exchange of locally grown and donated seeds. We believe in making growing as accessible as possible and want to encourage our community to grow and save seeds.
How it Works
- VISIT: Stop by the Creativity Commons in the Nanaimo Harbourfront Branch at 90 Commercial St., Nanaimo
- BORROW: Help yourself to up to three seed packets at a time
- GROW: Plant your “borrowed” seeds in your garden
- Harvest and Save: Harvest your bounty and save some seeds for future years
- RETURN: Return your saved seed for future growers and pick up more seeds.
Not comfortable with saving seeds, that is OK. Food security takes time to learn and master, keep an eye on our events page for programs to help you learn.
The Seed Library relies on local seed savers to refill the seeds each year. We graciously accept seeds from local growers.
- Seeds should be under 2 years of age and stored in a cool dry place out of direct sunlight
- Seeds should be labelled with:
- Name of Species and Cultivar Name e.g. Cherry Tomato. “Red Delight”
- Year of Harvest
For more information, please contact us at CC@virl.bc.ca.