Following the Provincial Medical Health Officer orders, masks are now required when visiting the library. This is in addition to physical distancing, occupancy limits, and other safety measures.
A properly worn mask covers your nose and mouth at all times. Masks are available. Speak to a member of staff.
Open for Takeout service!
- Monday – Saturday: 10 – 1
- Saturdays: 1 – 4 pm
- Tuesdays: 5 – 7 pm
- Monday – Friday: 1 – 4 pm
- Monday – Saturday: 9 am – 4 pm.
Public Computer Access
- Available for 25 minute sessions. Please contact the branch to book a session.
**NEW Use our online links (below) to request a customized book bundle. We will make up a bundle of items based on your interests, notify you when it’s ready, and you can pick it up when convenient during any of our Takeout and browsing service hours.
About the Branch
The Cowichan library has a long and storied history. It began as a lending library dating back to the late 1800’s. During the Second World War, with a growing population in Duncan, the library moved to the federal customs building. In 1947 a plebiscite was held and Duncan joined what was then called the Vancouver Island Union Library system and the branch opened, for a short time, in the Agricultural Hall. In subsequent years, it moved to the old fire hall and various other locations. In 2004, the library branch moved to its current location in the Island Savings Centre.
A new external book drop is now available, from the sidewalk in the front of the Library.
We offer takeout service with no appointments necessary! You can reserve material online through our website or give us a call.
NEW – We also offer limited browsing walkthrough Monday to Friday from 1 – 4 pm. Numbers of customers in the branch at one time is limited also.
We also offer Grab and Go bags and Bundles O’Books for all ages. If you don’t see something that interests you give us a call and we can make something up for you (with a bit of notice please!).
We are currently not accepting donations of materials at this time. Thanks very much for your understanding.
Branch Phone Hours
- 16 public access computers with internet access, word processing, photocopying and printing
- Free public WiFi
- Wheelchair accessible
- Research help
- Free programs for adults and children
- Daily newspapers
- World Languages collection (Cantonese, German, Korean, Mandarin, Punjabi, Spanish and Vietnamese)
- On BC Transit route
- Simon Charlie totem pole
- Bookable Meeting Room
- Collection size of almost 60,000 items
- Library Manager – Annette Van Koevering
- Children & Youth Services Librarian – Nariel Davis
- Adult Librarian – Kendra Runnalls