Following the Provincial Medical Health Officer orders, masks are now required when visiting the library. This is in addition to physical distancing, occupancy limits, and other safety measures.
A properly worn mask covers your nose and mouth at all times. Masks are available for free. Simply ask a member of staff.
We are now offering Sit-Down Service:
- Monday – Thursday: 10:00 – 8:00 pm
- Fridays & Saturdays: 10:00 – 5:00 pm
- Sundays: 12:30 – 4 pm (NEW)
Sit-Down Service includes: full browsing of the entire library, holds pick up, and self-checkout stations. Public Computers are also available for 30 minutes per day.
Please bring your library card with you!
- Open when the library is closed otherwise please return all material inside the branch to our 2 book drop stations just inside the door.
**Library and Library Bookdrop are closed on all statutory holidays.
Public Computer Access:
- Available for one 30-minute session per day. Drop in anytime during Sit-Down Service hours
Request a customized book bundle:
Use our online links (below). We will make up a bundle of items based on your interests, notify you when it’s ready, and you can pick it up when convenient during any of our Takeout and browsing service hours.
About the Branch
The Cowichan library has a long and storied history. It began as a lending library dating back to the late 1800’s. During the Second World War, with a growing population in Duncan, the library moved to the federal customs building. In 1947 a plebiscite was held and Duncan joined what was then called the Vancouver Island Union Library system and the branch opened, for a short time, in the Agricultural Hall. In subsequent years, it moved to the old fire hall and various other locations. In 2004, the library branch moved to its current location in the Cowichan Community Centre.
A new external book drop is now available, from the sidewalk in the front of the Library.
We are currently not accepting donations of materials at this time. Thanks very much for your understanding.
Branch Phone Hours
Sun: 12:30pm – 4 pm
- 16 public access computers with internet access, word processing, photocopying and printing
- Free public WiFi
- Wheelchair accessible
- Research help
- Free programs for adults and children
- Daily newspapers
- World Languages collection (Cantonese, German, Korean, Mandarin, Punjabi, Spanish and Vietnamese)
- On BC Transit route
- Simon Charlie totem pole
- Bookable Meeting Room
- Collection size of almost 60,000 items
- Library Manager – Annette
- Children & Youth Services Librarian – Nariel
- Adult Librarian – Kendra