About the Branch
The Cowichan library has a long and storied history. It began as a lending library dating back to the late 1800’s. During the Second World War, with a growing population in Duncan, the library moved to the federal customs building. In 1947 a plebiscite was held and Duncan joined what was then called the Vancouver Island Union Library system and the branch opened, for a short time, in the Agricultural Hall. In subsequent years, it moved to the old fire hall and various other locations. In 2004, the library branch moved to its current location in the Island Savings Centre.
A new external book drop is now available, from the sidewalk in the front of the Library.
- 16 public access computers with internet access, word processing, photocopying and printing
- Free public WiFi
- Wheelchair accessible
- Research help
- Free programs for adults and children
- Daily newspapers
- World Languages collection (Cantonese, German, Korean, Mandarin, Punjabi, Spanish and Vietnamese)
- On BC Transit route
- Simon Charlie totem pole
- Bookable Meeting Room
- Collection size of almost 60,000 items
- Library Manager – Annette Van Koevering
- Children & Youth Services Librarian – Stephanie Baum