New Website for Vancouver Island Regional Library Customers
November 23, 2018
Friday, November 23, 2018: Our new website makes accessing Vancouver Island Regional Library’s (VIRL) resources a more intuitive and discoverable experience for library users. The site, which officially launches on Friday, November 30, offers a cutting-edge design that is optimized for all mobile devices, incorporates a robust and detailed events calendar, contains continually updated and refreshed recommendations for customers, and presents VIRL’s diverse resources with a user-focused menu structure.
“We consider our website to be our 40th branch,” says VIRL’s Executive Director Rosemary Bonanno. “Just like our physical branches are refreshed and refurbished to ensure they’re the best possible spaces for our customers, our new website ushers in new and exciting experiences for our customers, and opens doors of discovery, access, and interaction. We are so excited to offer this new experience to our customers.”
To develop this site, VIRL undertook a rigorous process that involved input from customers, staff, and stakeholders from many different demographics and backgrounds. The firm hired to develop the site had previously built new websites for four library systems in Ontario, experiences that gave them a unique edge and understanding of our particular needs and expectations.
Some of the features of the new site include the following:
- It’s mobile-optimized, so it looks beautiful on any screen
- High-resolution make for a visually rich experience
- The intuitive header makes discovery and searching a fun and streamlined experience
- The site can be filtered by branch so no matter where people live, they’ll know exactly what’s happening in their community, or across the system
- Reader’s advisory carousels help to facilitate discovery and access to the resources in our catalogue
- User-focused design pushes collections and resources to the forefront
The site replaces VIRL’s current site, which has served us since 2011, and retains the same URL at www.virl.bc.ca
For more Information
Director, Corporate Communications and Strategic Initiatives
250.753.1154 ex 248