VIRL shines light on Indigenous cultures and experiences this Library Month
September 30, 2019
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Vancouver Island Regional Library (VIRL) is showcasing Indigenous people, cultures, customs, and creations this October during Library Month celebrations. From film screenings to author talks, storytimes to medicine walks, VIRL branches will be full of exciting, thought-provoking, insightful and informative Indigenous-themed programs and displays all month long.
“Our library system is committed to fostering conversations and opportunities for people to learn together about Indigenous experiences and cultures, past, present, and future,” says Rosemary Bonanno, VIRL’s Executive Director. “Whether you live in Haida Gwaii, the North Island, Sooke, or somewhere in between, there’s something for every age and interest this October.”
Library Month kicked off on September 30 with Orange Shirt Day with VIRL staff wearing orange shirts (or orange buttons) in solidarity and support of the Every Child Matters initiative.
October programs include the following:
- Kwak’wala in the Library 4 Little Learners, Sunday, October 6, 2pm, Courtenay branch
- Warmland Book and Film Collective (book and movie discussions), Wednesday, October 9, 5pm, Cowichan branch
- Medicine Gathering with Cowichan Tribes Elder Della (Rice) Sylvester, Thursday, October 10, 5:30pm, South Cowichan branch
- Double Doc Feature: Games of the North and Young Lakota, Thursday, October 10, 2pm, Nanaimo North
- Indigenous Voices with Georgina Martin and Fred Speck, Tuesday, October 15, 2pm, Parksville branch
- Smart Cinema: Searching for Winnetou (film screening), Thursday, October 17, 6:30pm, Nanaimo Harbourfront branch
- Seasons Storytime with Mavis Aubichon, Friday, October 18, 10am, Cumberland branch
- Beading Workshop: Lil’ Red Dress Project, Monday October 21, 3pm-6pm, Nanaimo Harbourfront branch
- The Adventures of Wisakedjak with Marlene Kelly, Wednesday, October 23, 10:30am, Comox branch and Thursday, October 24, 10:30am, Courtenay branch
- Author Talk: Keith D. Smith, Talking Back to the Indian Act, Thursday, October 24, 6:30pm, Nanaimo Harbourfront branch
- Awil’gola Open House, Thursday, October 24, 5pm, Port Hardy branch
- Indigenous Book Club: Why Indigenous Literatures Matter, Thursday, October 24, 5pm-7pm, Gabriola Island branch
- Local Indigenous Art Show, Tuesday, October 29-31, all day, Nanaimo North branch
For more information about these events, visit our events calendar. VIRL staff have also curated reading lists of Indigenous authors and put together reading path to help guide customers on their reading journey.
To find out more, visit our website or contact your branch.
For more information
David Carson, Director, Corporate Communications and Strategic Initiatives
Direct: 250.753.1154 ex 248