Join us Saturday, October 5th for the Nanaimo Harbourfront Library’s first annual Fun Palace!
Learn about the community you belong to!
Drop-in for yoga, tour the Creativity Commons, and participate in an open mic poetry slam! At the Fun Palace, you’re bound to try something new!
Come down to the library for an action-packed afternoon featuring booths and fun activities hosted by community groups.
Fun Palaces are hosted worldwide as “campaigns for cultural democracy.”
Learn more about Fun Palaces: http://funpalaces.co.uk/about/
EVENTS RUNNING ALL AFTERNOON:
- Nanaimo Fiddle Society Booth: enjoy lively fiddle tunes played by talented local musicians, try out an assortment of stringed instruments
- The Shire of Hartwood (Society for Creative Anachronism): Check out live spinning and an archery display by this local medieval interest group. Stop by their booth for heraldry, games and kumihimo, as well as live demonstrations of Armored and Rapier fights.
- The Mid-Island Weavers and Spinners Guild will bring their expansive display; stop by their booth and try out their cordage activity
- The Nanaimo Concert Band will present an informational booth. Learn more about Nanaimo’s longest running band! “Great Music Since 1872”
- The Creativity Commons (upstairs in our Nanaimo Harbourfront Branch) will host an open house of their space, including a Cricut craft activity
- The library will also be hosting a number of arts and crafts activities, including a Cardboard Creations station for young palace builders, magnet and sticker making and more!
- 12:00 – 12:30 – Drop-in yoga in the upstairs Large Meeting Room hosted by talented yogi and local school teacher Madeleine Dwyer
- 12:00 – 1:00 – Martial arts youth class demonstration and participatory activities with CJ Martial Arts and Fitness in the Atrium
- 1:00 – 1:30 – Rapier and Armored battle demonstrations by the Shire of Hartwood in the Children’s Area
- 1:30 – 2:30 – Poetry open mic hosted by WordStorm Society for the Arts (sign up starts at 1) in the Atrium
- 2:00 – 2:30 – Rapier and Armored battle demonstrations by the Shire of Hartwood in the Children’s Area
- 3:00 – 3:30 – Concert by the Suzuki Music School in the Atrium
All activities are free, no registration required!