Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays everyone!
Our Christmas hours this year are:
Last open day is Friday December 23 9-5
Closed from Saturday December 24 thru to and including Tuesday December 27
Open from Wednesday December 28 thru to and including Friday December 30
Closed from Saturday December 31 thru to and including Monday January 2
The Library is closed for all BC Statutory Holidays.
About the Branch
Pre-1999, there were two library options for residents of Gabriola Island: a bookmobile at the south end of the island, and a very popular books-by-mail service. That all changed in 1999 when a dedicated library opened in the bustling Gabriola Folklife Village. Over the years, the library has expanded in size and scope and has firmly established itself as a vital cornerstone of island life.
- Ample free parking
- Free public WiFi, 24/7
Meeting Room available for booking
We have a private meeting room that accommodates up to 20 people. The room is equipped with tables, chairs, a large wall-mounted tv monitor, a sink and microwave. The room is free to book if you are a non-profit group. We charge For-Profit groups $30/hour. Please contact the Librarian to make a booking.
Our meeting room us policy is as follows:
VIRL allows for the use of buildings by individuals, groups, organizations, and businesses whose conduct abides by the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and the BC Human Rights Code.
Meeting Rooms are generally available for use during library open hours, depending upon the availability of library staff. Activities taking place in a library meeting room must not interfere with library operations. They are to be contained to the meeting room and not flow into other areas of the library. Selling and soliciting by the public shall not be permitted in the libraries, on library property, or at library sponsored events, without the permission of the Executive Director.
Light Therapy Lamps
Light Therapy Lamps are available on a first-come, first served basis. The lamps cannot be taken out of the library.
Find out more about the therapy lights.
How to use a light therapy lamp:
- Turn on the lamp and sit in front of it for 20-30 minutes each day at a distance of about 12 inches (10,000 Lux) or 1 hour at about 20 inches (5,000 Lux). For sensitive users, gradually increasing exposure is recommended.
- Your eyes need to be open and you must face the lamp. Do not look directly at the lamp. Adjust the angle of the lamp to suit your position.
Why is the library providing these lamps?
- Research by the Canadian Mental Health Association suggests that 2-3% of Canadians will experience Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) in their lifetime. Another 15% will experience a milder form of SAD.
- Light Therapy Lamps can be prohibitively expensive. This service provides access to light therapy for all Gabriolans if they require it.
Light therapy should not be done without first consulting your doctor because there can be side-effects to this treatment for some people. Vancouver Island Regional Library is not liable for any health issues related to use of these lamps. See product information from Northern Light Technologies for more information.
- Customer Service Librarian II – Kendra Runnalls (Gabriola Island Branch)
- Library Manager – Jonathon Bigelow (Nanaimo Harbourfront Branch)