Pick up holds during the following hours No appointment Needed!:
Wednesday to Saturday: 10am-4pm
Please bring your library card if you have one.
About the Branch
Pre-1999, there were two library options for residents of Gabriola Island: a bookmobile at the south end of the island, and a very popular books-by-mail service. That all changed in 1999 when a dedicated library opened in the bustling Gabriola Folklife Village. Over the years, the library has expanded in size and scope and has firmly established itself as a vital cornerstone of island life.
- Ample free parking
- Free public WiFi, 24/7
Light Therapy Lamps
Light Therapy Lamps are available on a first-come, first served basis. The lamps cannot be taken out of the library.
Find out more about the therapy lights.
How to use a light therapy lamp:
- Turn on the lamp and sit in front of it for 20-30 minutes each day at a distance of about 12 inches (10,000 Lux) or 1 hour at about 20 inches (5,000 Lux). For sensitive users, gradually increasing exposure is recommended.
- Your eyes need to be open and you must face the lamp. Do not look directly at the lamp. Adjust the angle of the lamp to suit your position.
Why is the library providing these lamps?
- Research by the Canadian Mental Health Association suggests that 2-3% of Canadians will experience Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) in their lifetime. Another 15% will experience a milder form of SAD.
- Light Therapy Lamps can be prohibitively expensive. This service provides access to light therapy for all Gabriolans if they require it.
Light therapy should not be done without first consulting your doctor because there can be side-effects to this treatment for some people. Vancouver Island Regional Library is not liable for any health issues related to use of these lamps. See product information from Northern Light Technologies for more information.
- Library Manager – Anthony Martin
- Customer Services Librarian II – Jeff Strain