VIRL offers specialized services within our branches for our customers.
Public Meeting Rooms
Some branches have public meeting space available to use. See here for details on meeting rooms.
VIRL offers exam invigilating services for distance education students writing exams that require an invigilator. These may include mid-term, final exams and entrance exams. There is a $30 fee for each invigilated exam (Starting November 1, 2013).
To schedule an exam invigilator contact your local library branch and read VIRL's Invigilation Guidelines below. Please allow 14 days advance notice to book an invigilator.
- Invigilation services are available at Vancouver Island Regional Library’s branches which have a librarian on-staff.
- Invigilation fee as of November 1, 2013 will be $30.00 per session. Customers will be charged $10.00 for missed exams; at least 24 hours’ notice is required for cancellations. Any additional costs for copying, postage etc. must be borne by the student or the institution.*
- The Library Manager or Librarian may agree to invigilate provided the institution’s exam-writing criteria can be met at their branch and that the writing of such an exam does not disrupt the library’s branch normal operations. Exams must be written within the normal working hours of the qualified proctor.
- The library is a public place and cannot guarantee a quiet, distraction-free environment.
- Online exams can be written on the branch’s public computers. VIRL cannot accommodate online exams that require the downloading of specific software to its public computers. Personal laptops may be used if permitted by the institution which issued the exam.
- Proctors are unable to offer constant supervision during the exam.
- Arrangements to write an exam must be made with the Librarian or Library Manager at least two weeks in advance.
- VIRL must receive the exam at least one week before the test is scheduled.
*Foodsafe exams excepted*