January 17, 2019
Vancouver Island Regional Library (VIRL) has removed a significant barrier to give more children access to our important literacy resources. …
January 14, 2019
Have you ever wondered why you can’t borrow more eAudiobooks and ebooks from your library? Believe us, libraries want to …
December 5, 2018 | Courtenay
Wednesday, December 5, 2018: What is reconciliation? What is not reconciliation? Discuss these and other important issues with Reconciliation Canada …
Fast Facts about Vancouver Island Regional Library
- Vancouver Island Regional Library is the fifth largest library system in British Columbia.
- Holdings at Vancouver Island Regional Library number almost one million and include books, magazines, CD’s and DVD’s. Card holders can borrow materials from any of our 39 locations.
- In 2012 there were 2.6 million visits to our branches and our customers borrowed 4.6 million items.
- Vancouver Island Regional Library opened its doors in 1936 as the Vancouver Island Union Library. We were the second regional library in North America.
- With 39 branch libraries across the island, Vancouver Island Regional Library serves over 430,000 people on Vancouver Island, Haida Gwaii and the Central Coast (Bella Coola)