Get a Card
Personal Photo Identification and proof of residence is required when registering or using your card for the first time.
The following types of identification are acceptable. Only one piece of identification is required if it shows the current address. Otherwise, proof of residence is also required.
- BC driver's license
- BC Pharmacare card
- Automobile registration
- BC ID (issued by the Dept. of Motor Vehicles for non-drivers)
- Birth certificate
- Bank statement
- Medical/dental card
- Student (bus) card issued by local high school
- Citizenship card
- Social Insurance card
- Current library card from another system
Proof of Residence
- Assessment/tax notice
- Rental agreement (formalized)/receipt
- Moorage fees/receipt proving residence
- Letter or bill showing current address
- Personal mail with current postmark
- Personalized cheques
- Parent's name in database or phone book corresponding to address given by applicant (for teens)
- Provincial voter identification card. (only if address included on card)
Children 12 years or younger must have a parent’s or legal guardian’s signature. Parents or legal guardians are responsible for their child’s card, borrowed items, and fines.
When you receive a library card, you agree to comply with all library rules and regulations, to assume full responsibility for all materials borrowed on cards that bear your signature, to pay promptly fines or charges for lost or damaged materials, and to give immediate notice of change of address or loss of card(s). You accept that failure to comply with library rules may result in loss of borrowing privileges.
Please see the Library's Rules of Conduct for details.
Other Card Options
We are a proud supporter of the provincial BC OneCard which is accepted at all branches. Further details can be found here.
Visitors from other regions are also welcome to use our services. Our Visitors page provides further detail.
Live in a remote location within the Vancouver Island Regional Library Service area? Email us at bbm [at] virl [dot] bc [dot] ca to request Books by Mail service.