Vancouver Island Regional Library has a lot of resources for teachers!
Students use both the school library and the public library to research assignments and select reading material. By working together as partners in education, we can help to provide your students with the best possible educational experience.
Summer Reading Club 2013
- Letter to teachers and school librarians
- Sample public address system announcement
- Sample newsletter item
Curriculum Support – 24/7!
- Use the online catalogue to find materials in many formats - books, CDs, DVDs, ebooks and more!
- Free online access from the library or home to a number of information databases especially for kids. All that is needed is a valid Vancouver Island Regional Library card.
- Homework Help on both the Kids page and Teen page of our website provides links to recommended resources and websites on many topics, including research tips and strategies, and more.
We invite you to bring your class to any library branch location so your students can become familiar with the services and resources we offer. Or, we can arrange to visit your classroom.
Types of Visits
Library Orientation (All Grades)
Let us show your students what the library has to offer - program information, homework help, library cards, and more! All visits can include a fun, literacy-based activity tailored to each grade level.
Projects Prep: Getting Started (All Grades)
Starting a new unit study? Arrange a visit that fits any area of study. Your librarian can set aside materials, and students can learn how to use our print and electronic sources
Storytime Fun (Preschool-Grade 3)
Join us for stories, songs, rhymes and literacy based activities that are fun for the whole class. We will tour the library and include time to browse and borrow items.
Your Virtual Library (Grades 4-8)
Book an interactive, fun visit for your class to learn about all the great things they can do through the library’s website. Students will learn how to use our catalogue to find materials and place holds, to discover recommended websites, to post comments on books they have read and explore e-books.
Literacy Kits and Kindergarten Kits
Explore all the wonderful resources found inside our Literacy Kits. These specialized kits focus on developing early literacy skills in children. Each kit contains books, multi-media items, toys, puzzles and games. Literacy Kits are available for babies, toddlers, preschoolers and our newest literacy kits, Kindergarten Kits, are for children attending Kindergarten.