Summer Reading Club
Reading is like all skills: a little practice goes a long way!
Each summer, Vancouver Island Regional Library (VIRL) offers a free Summer Reading Club to help children stay on top of this important skill while they are out of school. Summer Reading Club motivates kids to read by providing:
- Materials so kids can track their reading success: prizes, reading records, stickers, an interactive website, and other reading-related information and activities.
- Medals for all children who complete a reading record.
- Kick-off and wind-up parties at the library to celebrate Summer Readers’ successes.
- Supportive library staff to help kids enjoy reading.
We offer two programs for different levels of ability:
- the Summer Reading Club program for independent readers in Kindergarten to Grade 7.
- the Read to Me program for pre-schoolers and emerging readers.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How do I join?
Go to any branch of Vancouver Island Regional Library:
- The Summer Reading Club officially starts the first week of July.
- Kids are welcome to register throughout June and July.
- Watch for SRC events happening all summer at your local branch!
How do I win prizes?
You get a chance to win a prize each time you have seven entries filled out in your Reading Record. Then visit your library to enter the book prize draw!
How do I use the Reading Record?
The record has 7 Author/Title lines per page
Every time you read, simply fill in two lines in your reading record. Fill in EITHER:
- the titles of books read, OR
- chapters read, OR
- time spent reading
- Read to Me Club: Fill in one of these and name of person reading
Note:you don’t have to fill in Author and Title – that’s just the way the reading records get printed for the whole province, but we want you to be able to record whole books, or chapters, or time – whatever works for you!
- If you read a little every day and record each reading session, you’ll have a page filled out in one week, and the reading record will be full by the end of the summer. (That’s easy!)
- Enter a prize draw in the library every time you fill in a page.
- When you fill up your reading record, get another one from the library. (It will be on regular paper).
- Once you have filled up one reading record, you are eligible for a Reading Achievement Medal. Ask at your branch how the medals are awarded.
How can I find SRC events at my library?
Visit the Vancouver Island Regional Library Programs & Events page and select your branch from the drop-down menu, or drop-in and ask at your local library!
The Summer Reading Club 2013 Artist
The Summer Reading Club program materials feature the work of a different artist each year. This year's Summer Reading Club illustrator is Eliska Liska. Originally from the Czech Republic, where she obtained a Masters Degree in Conceptual Art. Eliska lived in England, Mexico, and Latin America before settling in Victoria, BC.