Summer Reading Club
Reading is like all skills: a little practice goes a long way!
Summer Reading Club officially starts on July 2, but you can register online today. Our library branches will be hosting a ton of events and parties leading all the way up to August 31.
Each summer, Vancouver Island Regional Library (VIRL) offers a free Summer Reading Club to help children stay on top of this important skill while they are out of school. Summer Reading Club motivates kids to read by providing:
- Materials so kids can track their reading success: prizes, reading records, stickers, an interactive website, and other reading-related information and activities.
- Medals for all children who complete a reading record.
- Kick-off and wind-up parties at the library to celebrate Summer Readers’ successes.
- Supportive library staff to help kids enjoy reading.
Summer Reading Club is for all children ages 0-12!
Frequently Asked Questions:
How do I join?
Register online through the links above or go to any branch of Vancouver Island Regional Library:
- The Summer Reading Club officially starts July 2, but pre-registration begins June 20.
- Kids are welcome to register throughout July and early August.
- Watch for SRC events happening all summer at your local branch!
How do I win prizes?
You get a chance to win a prize each time you have seven entries filled out in your Reading Record. Then visit your library to enter the book prize draw!
How do I use the Reading Record?
The record has 7 lines per page. Every time you read something, or someone reads to you, simply fill in a line in your reading record.
- If you read a little every day and record each reading session, you’ll have a page filled out in one week, and the reading record will be full by the end of the summer. (That’s easy!)
- Enter a prize draw in the library every time you fill in a page.
- When you fill up your reading record, get another one from the library.
- Once you have filled up one reading record, you are eligible for a Reading Achievement Medal. Ask at your branch how the medals are awarded.
- You can also download a Reading Record here
I can't decide what to read. Do you have any suggestions?
Visit the Vancouver Island Regional Library's Books & Stories page. You'll find plenty of suggestions there, separated into categories such as Awards, Recommended Reading and Staff Picks, and eStories.
How can I find SRC events at my library?
Visit the Vancouver Island Regional Library Programs & Events page and select your branch from the drop-down menu, or drop-in and ask at your local library!